Welcome Back to School! We hope that your child(ren) is/are off to a great start! Fall can be a very busy time for many families and we wanted to send along some helpful tips! Many children are involved in many extra-curricular activities both in and out of school. While these activities are fun and great at building self-esteem or special skills, there are steps that parents can take to make sure your child does not become overscheduled. Sometimes, the pressure to participate in a handful of activities all the time can be exhausting for parents and students. It is important to find the right balance that works for you and your child. Below are some suggestions:
- Schedule activities in moderation. Help your child choose activities that they are most interested in, keeping in mind abilities, temperament and time.
- Make sure your child knows what is expected of them and how much time they will have to devote.
- Keep a calendar to stay organized.
- Try to carpool with other parents to make things easier.
- Try to balance all of the activities with family time.
- Set priorities: School should come first. Be sure your child is keeping up academically.
- Know when to say “no”. If your child is already participating in numerous activities, and really wants to participate, talk about what the child might need to give up.
- Make sure your child has downtime. Children need time, just like adults, to relax and reflect.
If you have any questions, concerns or would like more information, please feel free to contact the counseling department.
Dr. Whalen 5th grade & Mrs. Thomas 6th grade
Hillside School Counselors