Dear Hillside Family:
On behalf of the Hillside School community, welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! Preparations are well under way for an academically rewarding and highly productive year. It is with a great sense of anticipation and excitement that we welcome your child back to school on Thursday, September 5th. This year we are challenging our students to “Climb the Hill!” as part of our efforts to enhance our students’ overall perseverance and grit. It is essential that we all work together to create a learning environment that is academically supportive, socially positive, emotionally fulfilling, and physically inspiring.
Your involvement in your child’s education is crucial to his or her school success. It is important that you keep abreast of your child’s progress and communicate with teachers, accordingly. Research on learning clearly demonstrates that student achievement is greatest when parents are positively involved in their children’s education. We need you to “Climb the Hill!” with us. Use PowerSchool (Parent Portal) to obtain your child’s schedule, complete the required forms, monitor their academic progress, and to view other pertinent information. Please note that teacher assignments are subject to change based upon finalization of personnel needs. Utilize the Homework Portal to review student homework throughout the year and view teacher webpages.
New this year for all Bridgewater-Raritan Intermediate level students will be the District’s 1:1 Chromebook initiative. You will receive complete information regarding this program later this week. Please read the parent letter and sign off on Power School that you have read and agree to the following:acceptable use policy, electronic communication and recording devices policy, and STAR parent-student handbook.
Opening of School
- Our first day of school is Thursday, September 5, 2019. This will be a full day with our regular hours from 9:05 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.The cafeteria will be open for students wishing to purchase lunch.MyPaymentsPlus program is used to pre-pay for student lunches, as well as pay student activity fees.Please use this Food Services quick link for information.
- Please be sure that your child is aware of their homeroom teacher/room for the first day of school (PowerSchool).They will receive an official copy of their schedule in homeroom. It is also important that they know their bus number for dismissal.
- Student Contact and Demographic information must be verified before the start of school. This can be done through PowerSchool. Once you log in, select the “Demographic Change” link. You do not have to print any of the information – simply complete changes online. Please complete by Friday, August 30, 2019.
- Update information that is no longer correct. Note: any changes to name or address must be done through the District Registration Office. Complete the district online form by using this link. Follow the directions given. Documentation will be required.
- There are “check-off boxes” that you are to use indicating that you have read the Student Handbook, Weapons Agreement, Hillside Integrated Pest Management plan, Acceptable Student Use of Computers and Computer Networks, Electronic Communication and Recording Devices Policy, as well as the STAR Parent-Student handbook.
- Additionally, there is a section to complete regarding permissions for identifying students in district publications.
- Student Health Insurance information is needed. (A telephone number is provided for the NJ Family Care program that offers free to low cost health insurance for uninsured children and certain low income parents.)
Note that all required check-off items must be completed before you can successfully “submit” the information.
- Please see the Required Forms and Due Dates checklist at the end of this letter for a list of all of the necessary items to be completed for the start of the school year.
- Bus pass information will be forthcoming. This year bus passes will be emailed to parents/guardians
- Student Agendas will be distributed the first day of school. The Student Handbook is included for reference. Parents/Guardians are to acknowledge that they have read and reviewed the Student Handbook with their student on the Parent Portal.
- It is helpful for you to visit our Hillside school website regularly. There you will find links to a variety of forms, documents, and valuable school information.
- As a “green school district” we communicate to our families via an e-blast. In order to minimize the constant flow of e-mail, we will be sending pertinent school information via our e-blast system on Wednesday’s of each week. PTO correspondence will be sent on Monday’s.
- OurTwitter page can be found using this link: Twitter Page
- Our Facebook page can be found at: www.Facebook.com/BrrsdHillsideHawks
- We will continue to use the School Messenger calling system to notify you not only about school closures, emergency early dismissal, and delayed openings but also any busing delays that significantly affect morning pickup or afterschool dismissal. Current users are asked to review their information and make updates as needed. If you are new to the School Messenger system, please use the quick link above and refer to the Emergency Closing Information provided.
Arrival and Dismissal
- Students need to arrive at their assigned bus stop 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick up time. Please remind your children that seat belts are required.
- Students being dropped off by parents or walking to school should arrive no earlier than 8:55 a.m. Adult supervision is not provided before 8:55 a.m. Students will not be admitted into the building prior to 8:55 a.m.
- Walkers must use sidewalks and not walk through the parking lot or neighboring yards.
- After 8:30 a.m., any student being dropped off must exit their vehicle at the crosswalk at the designated student drop off point near the top of the parking lot. Do not use the main entrance driveway.
- Students who must leave school early are to present their homeroom teacher with a note from a parent/guardian indicating the student’s name, parent/guardian name, teacher’s name, time of dismissal, and reason for the early release. Students are to leave class on their own and report to the Main Office in time for pick up.
- For the safety of our students and staff, please be mindful of the need to drive cautiously in and around our school parking facilities. Your cooperation is much appreciated!
- When a student is absent from school, the parent/guardian must notify Hillside before 9:00 a.m. You may report an absence to the school online. Please use this link. You may also call the school at 908-231-1905, choose option 1, and leave a message. Include the child’s name, teacher, expected return date, and reason for absence in your message. If you notify Hillside by telephone, a note explaining the child’s absence must be given to the homeroom teacher the day the child returns to school.
- School begins at 9:05 a.m. Students arriving after that time are considered late and must be signed in at the Main Office by a parent/guardian.
- Items brought to school by a parent/guardian (books, sneakers, lunch, etc.) are to be labeled with the students first and last name and homeroom teacher. The items are to be dropped off at the Main Office.
We are looking forward to a terrific opening and fantastic school year! Go Hawks!
Mr. William Ferry
Hillside School Information
School telephone #: 908-231-1905 School Fax #: 908-231-1083
Option 1 – Report a Child Absent
Option 2 – Nurse’s Office
Option 3 – Guidance Office Guidance Office Fax#: 908-575-1497
Option 4 – Child Study Team
Option 5 – Elementary Teaching Specialist
Option 6 – Main Office
Option 7 – Staff Directory
Option 8 – Emergency Announcements
Dates to Remember
Grade 6 students must receive required vaccinations prior to the start of school
8/30 Emergency Contact/Demographic Information update due date (via PowerSchool)
9/4 Grade 5 Students Open House: 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
9/5 First day of school, full day, lunch served
9/13 PTO meeting, 7:00 p.m.
9/17 Grade 5 Back to School Night, 6:05 p.m., further information forth coming
9/19 Grade 6 Back to School Night, 6:05 p.m., further information forth coming
9/25 School Picture Day - further information forthcoming
9/30 No School- Rosh Hashanah
Required Forms and Due Dates
Also, indicate that you have read the required documentation and indicate on the verification form:
Student Handbook, Acceptable Use Policy, Technology Responsible Use Agreement, Weapons Policy, and the Integrated Pest Management Policy
Due by Friday, August 30, 2019
Grade 6 Required Vaccine and Physical Exam Forms
All forms must be received by August 30,2019 in order for a 6th grade student to attend school.
Complete on PowerSchool by Friday, August 30, 2019
- Updating Student Contact Information in PowerSchool
- Update any contact information that is not current.
- Instructions for Updating Student Contact Information
- In addition to updating contact information, complete all sections including Health Information, and Publicity/Contact Permission options.
- Also, indicate that you have read the required documentation and indicate on the verification form:
- Student Handbook, Acceptable Use Policy, Technology Responsible Use Agreement, Weapons Policy, and the Integrated Pest Management Policy
Free - Reduced Lunch Letter, Instructions and Forms
Please use this link to open the Food Services - applications page.Select the Free and Reduced button.
Because health insurance is important to children’s well-being, Medicaid and NJ FamilyCare will be told if your child/children are eligible for free or reduced price meals. You must indicate on the included form if you do not wish that information to be shared. Information is included in both English and Spanish.
Student Accident Insurance
Use this link to open the Student Accident Insurance information and applications page.